g to say Bella, in fact it's rude". She then repeated her previous insult adding, "I am not being mean Mom. i just wish you had ribbons in your hair, wore more makeup, had diamond earrings and a diamond dress". A visual of Cinderella popped into my head and probably hers too. I thought maybe had I been in my 20's when I had my kids I could have lived up to her Disney dreams, but as I close in on forty...less than 7 months from now, no chance. I tried not to get my feelings hurt knowing kids tell it like it is, but come on. That sucks to hear even from a five year old. Later I even thought, except for ribbons in my hair I wouldn't mind diamond earrings, a sparkly diamond dress (and a place to wear one), even time to wear more makeup!Yesterday we went to the YMCA, just Bella and I. After working out I picked her up in the Kid Zone and asked if she found a friend to play with. Usually she has a line of girls following her. Why I am not sure since she often is indifferent about their company, but this time she lowered her head and said "No". "I wanted to play with the most beautiful girl there with a beautiful white ribbon in her hair, but she said I couldn't play with her because I didn't have pink on. I told her obviously the girl didn't know her colors since your buttons on your shirt were pink & not small either. Then led into mom rambling about how just because someone is pretty on the inside doesn't mean they are pretty on the outside. That went in one ear and
out the other and she replied, "Mom, she was even more beautiful than me." Seriously? as Shar would say. Bella is both Sassy & Self-confident. She doesn't get the latter from me. As my mom always says, "Tell me a Bella story" and there are so many, and "you are in trouble" and as her mom I am.She is now wanting to put foam rollers in her hair, wear makeup, purses, and be as beautiful as she can. She is knee deep in princess delight. She loves everyone of those fairytale beginnings, endings & middles. She went to see "Princess & the Frog" on her Daddy/daughter day and immediately focused in on her favorite part being when the Frog kisses the Princess. Scary, normal I know, but scary still the same. She is growing up way to fast. I need to dial it down and get her Little House on the Prairie. A little Laura Ingles would do her some good.
As we look at Kindergartens trying to make that big decision about her future:) I sure am glad there are uniforms in many public schools now, so we can tone down the accessories...limit the Hannah Montana & whoever the next "pop sensation" is... I know the apple didn't fall very far from the tree & in many ways she is like a little me, but I wasn't 5, self confident & sassy. That came years later.